Not only does the Orion SkyQuest XX14g GoTo Truss Tube Dobsonian feature exceptionally large 14-inch diameter optics, but its Orion-designed collapsible GoTo Dobsonian base and truss tube make the XX14g conveniently portable, since you can break the entire telescope down into bite-size component pieces. The optical tube and base both separate into smaller components — without tools. Once broken down, everything fits easily into even a compact car, for the trip to your favorite dark-sky site. Stability of the assembled XX14g Dobsonian base is enhanced by its 1-inch thick composite wood base panels, which are laminated with water-resistant black melamine. GoTo and tracking motors are pre-installed on the base panels, making assembly nice and easy. Since all base and truss tube hardware is captive, you don’t have to worry about leaving a screw behind after a long night of viewing in the field. WARNING! When using a truss tube Dobsonian for solar observing, always use a Light Shroud and a properly sized solar filter. Make sure there are no gaps between the Shroud and the telescope where direct sunlight can reach the mirror, otherwise eye injury or damage to the telescope can occur. Before using any telescope for solar observing, install protective covers on all optical components. Glancing through an uncovered optical system can cause permanent eye damage. Always install protective caps on all optical instruments if left out during daylight hours.
- An enormous yet conveniently portable 14″ aperture truss-tube Dobsonian telescope equipped with fully motorized GoTo object location and automatic tracking of over 42,000 celestial objects
- Colossal 14″ aperture reflector optics collect tons of light for wonderfully detailed views of deep space objects such as galaxies, star clusters, and cloudy nebulas, in addition to bright and detailed views of closer cosmic quarry including the Moon and planets
- Orion-designed collapsible GoTo Dobsonian base AND rigid 8-pole truss reflector optical tube both break down into easily manageable components for transport in virtually any car
- Closed-loop electronics forgive accidental bumps, nudges, and even manual repositioning without losing alignment of the GoTo system. Heavy-duty clutches allow independent adjustment of motion to desired level of resistance in both axes.
- Innovative convex-back 356mm diameter parabolic primary mirror and newly engineered mirror cell weigh 10 lbs. less than our standard 14″ reflector mirror and cell